Sunday, June 6, 2010

laziness v. lethargy

It's times like this (Sunday evenings) that the magnitude of my situation can be felt the greatest. Managing 3 kids during the week is made easier with the comfort of a set routine. Weekends, however, are no holds barred contest between myself and my husband for who can be the lazier parent. The good news, for this weekend at least, is that I won. I don't know why, but I feel tremendous guilt when I indulge in a lazy weekend. Maybe it's seeing my husband hustle the kids to and fro. Maybe it's the not waking up until 11am today, only to find that he has taken the kiddos to the park and instead of attacking the pile of gross ketchup-laden plates in the sink, I dedicated an hour and a half practicing "American Girl" on Guitar Hero...uninterrupted.

Sometimes I feel that guilt is just part of the package of being a woman. A man can choose to have a lazy sunday and all is forgiven. There is something off about a woman eschewing her daily chores and indulging herself this precious gift of "me time." I try my damndest not to buy into all the gender roles that feminism has fought so hard to debunk - but I have to admit, it's difficult to ignore the expectation that I will be "on" 24/7/365 and even more difficult to take a day off guilt-free.

So, tomorrow is Monday. My work week begins. Suppose I'll start by scraping ketchup off the plates.

No comments: